Friday, August 1, 2014

Stacked Tomato & Mozzarella Salad – Now 100% Mozzarella Free!

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using a nice, fresh mozzarella in your Caprese salad, but once or twice a summer, you simply must treat yourself to the natural wonder that is burrata cheese.

Comparing mozzarella and burrata is a little unfair, as burrata is significantly richer and creamier. It’s not like comparing apples and oranges; it’s more like apples and supermodels. In fact, burrata means “buttered,” which is really all you need to know.

Like I said in the video, if you do use burrata, please try it “as is,” before pouring over any vinegar. The subtle sweetness of this mildly tangy cheese is a delicate flower; so don’t crush it with a heavy hand.

Burrata used to be a specialty item, but I now see it next to the fresh mozzarella at all of your nicer grocery stores. While it will cost a little more, and may take a drive across town to find, I believe you'll find the extra effort well worth it. I hope you give this a try soon...before it snows. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 1 serving:
1 perfect vine-ripened tomato (don’t even bother using a supermarket tomato!)
4-6 tablespoons burrata cheese, or fresh mozzeralla
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
flaky sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and torn basil to taste

5 comments:

Grams Pam said...

OMW! My mouth was 'raining' as I watched this video!

I've never heard of burrata, but am now on a mission to find a local source.

Added to bucket list: eat this!

Gsweb8 said...

Simple, pure, elegant, rich...Genius. This is like the epicurion version of Einstien's General Theory of Reativity. But, using tomatoes and cheese instead.

Liz said...

The next time you find yourself in NYC, please go to the restaurant The Smith and try their burrata (it's served as an appetizer) and has given meaning to my life. Just ridiculously good.

Matt said...

This was so easy my wife was able to make it and it was great! She found the cheese at our local Wegmans.

Unknown said...

As an Italian, I've always thought of Burrata as a kind OF mozzarella. I'm not sure, maybe in Campania (Naples' region, where mozzarella miracles happen) they do consider it a separate cheese.
Anyway, as Chef John says, I really hope you give this a try. It's also delicious with some prosciutto crudo. Or on its own. Or in your bathtub.