Thursday, February 27, 2014

Trout Caviar “Fish & Chips” – And the Oscar for Best Hors d'Oeuvre Goes to…

Sure, you could serve some high-end Beluga or Ossetra caviar at your Oscars viewing party, but the problem with that plan is you’d have to get rich first. I’m not saying you won’t eventually be rolling in it, but the Academy Awards are Sunday, and we don’t want to rush you.

Instead, you can go with a more affordable option like the gorgeous trout roe seen glistening herein. This was only $25 for a 2-oz jar, and that’s purchased in San Francisco, one of the most expensive places on earth, so I’m hoping you can do even better than that.

It’s so obvious that I didn’t even mention it in the video, but of course this will work with any type of caviar. Having said that, when you consider value, it’s hard to beat these golden beads. Trout roe has a fresh, clean, briny flavor, and an absolutely beautiful texture. The feeling of those little, subtly salty eggs popping on your tongue is one of life’s great food experiences.

As far as portioning goes, if you use as much as I did on the first batch (pictured right), which was about 1 gram per chip, you’ll get between 50-60 hors d'oeuvres. If you want to stretch things a little further, then do smaller 1/2-gram portions, and get 100-120 still amazing tasting bites.

If you’re like me, and haven’t seen any of the movies yet, the only good reason to go to an Oscars party is for the food and drinks; and getting to enjoy something like these caviar “fish & chips” will make sitting through all those acceptance speeches almost worthwhile. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 100-120 bites (using 1/2-gram of roe per chip)
2 oz golden trout roe (or any other caviar or roe)
120 potato crisps or chips (I used original flavor Popchips)
about 1/2 cup sour cream
chives as needed

13 comments:

Chris K. said...

Seafood pop rocks. Eh, I'll pass.

Ed the house chef said...

Caviar is one of those foods not on my lists of food I enjoy. That said however, using the golden roe here makes it look amazing and would trick me into trying one.

Unknown said...

Hey CJ,

could you describe the taste of roe a bit? I've always been put off by it because I just imagine it as sacks of salty liquid that tastes fishy, but there seems to be quite a following for it.

Chef John said...

You pretty much described it! I can't do any better. Try it.

Anonymous said...

If you've never had it you need to try it just for the experience. Why would anyone not want to try caviar? It's a unique taste experience. These look great Chef! Easy to do too. Imma gonna try it!

Unknown said...

looks great, i am goin to try it, thank you John

Xandrios said...

How about serving these on prawn crackers (Kroepoek or Krupuk in Europe)?

Example: http://assets.24kitchen.nl/24kitchen_nl_nl/recipe/118630.660x372.jpg

Or would that be too 'fishy' overall?

Unknown said...

Do you think using fresh dill instead of chives would be ok? Or is that not string enough to balance like the chives?

Chef John said...

Too subjective to answer other than to say I'd prefer chives!

Same goes for chip question above.

Chef John said...

Too subjective to answer other than to say I'd prefer chives!

Same goes for chip question above.

Toshiko Suisei said...

Hi Chef John, These are pretty little tidbits! I don't care for the taste of any fresh-water fish so I don't think I'll like their roe either. But I love tobiko (flying fish) roe so I'll give your recipe a try with tobiko!

Tobiko is naturally orange in color but you can also get black where they added squid ink, yellow from citrus yuzu, red from beets, and green from spicy wasabi. Pretty and yummy!

philogaia said...

I managed to miss a video. How did I ever do that? This looks simple and great. I love caviar and yes, I also buy either trout or whitefish to keep the price down. Sturgeon or Beluga is just too breathtaking for me.

And for those who have never tried caviar give it a go when you have an opportunity to try just a single bite. I did first at a fancy work gathering years ago and I'm glad I did.

J.P. said...

John, I know this is old hat but could you tell me what brand of trout caviar you used? It looks like it might be bemka's AmeriCaviar brand but I want to make sure before I order it.