Saturday, February 8, 2014

That Other Meat Sauce

We did a classic Italian bolognese sauce not too long ago, which reminded me that I’ve actually never posted a basic, Italian-American meat sauce. This sauce goes by many names, including Sunday sauce, since that’s the day it’s traditionally made, but for me growing up, this was just called “sauce.”

This is one of those primal recipes that always follows the same procedure, yet almost never contains exactly the same ingredients. I was raised on a blend of beef, pork, and chicken, but any and all leftover proteins can, and must, be added to the pot.

Meatballs are a great choice; as are things like pigs feet, neck bones, and other similar cuts. The tougher the meat, the better it’s going to be in this sauce. Besides playing meat roulette, I’ll also switch different herbs like basil in and out, as well as include the occasional season vegetable.

You can also vary your results here with different tomato products. I went old-school and hand-crushed whole plums, but you can also use crushed or pureed tomatoes as well. The finer and smoother the tomatoes are processed, the thicker your sauce will be, so keep that in mind. Speaking of tomatoes; yes, it is much better to caramelize the tomato paste with the onions before you add the San Marzanos, but I didn't because Grandma didn't, and also, I forgot. 

As long as you cook the meat long enough, and season thoughtfully, there’s really no way this sauce isn’t going to be great. So, while you may not have grown up in an Italian-American home, with this comforting sauce simmering on the stove every Sunday, your family still can. I hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 portions:
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 beef shank
2 pounds pork ribs
2 bone-in chicken thighs
1 diced onion
6 cloves garlic
3 (28-oz) cans San Marzano plum tomatoes, crushed or blended smooth
(Note - any canned tomato product will work. Try with pureed or already crushed tomatoes and save a step)
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups water, more as needed
2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

29 comments:

Unknown said...

Happily today is Sunday. Thanks Chef John as always, we will enjoy.

James said...

Chef John.....is there any benefit to adding in the tomato paste after you sweat the onions and cook another minute or two before you add in the crushed tomatoes? Others have claimed that this caramelizes and intensifies that tomato flavor.

Chef John said...

Yes! It is better to caramelize the tomato paste first, and you'll see us do that in many videos. I didn't here because my grandmother never did, and also, I forgot to. ;)

Unknown said...

I plan to stick with your faster pasta am meat recipe as I am out of home made and this recipe is too much. Also have a freezer of venison sausage. Thanks for inspiring tonight's dinner.

Anonymous said...

I love throwing chunks of Peperoni in there too. Something about braising it in tomato makes it totally awesome!

cookinmom said...

Naked nuckles!

PhillyBear said...

Bravo, Chef. Nonna would be proud!

Gym said...

Can a pressure cooker be used for this? Cut the time to maybe an hour?

Unknown said...

Hey Chef, question for you. When you made your chicken stock video you emphasized how the meat used to make it wasn't worth keeping as the flavors had all left the meat and went into the liquid. How is this any different? I only ask because I've noticed when I make italian sausages and leave it to simmer in the sauce, the sausages always taste flavorless in comparison to just grilling them up and adding them at the end.

Thanks

Chef John said...

Gym, I'm sure a PC would be faster, but it's not part of the ritual for me.

Chef John said...

Jeremy,

The diff is that the bones in stock cook in plain water for a long time and all the flavor is extracted.
Here the sausage is simmer for an hour in a flavorful, seasoned liquid. Sure some flavor goes from the meat to the sauce, but that's the idea!

BBQChick said...

After all the recent news out of Italy about the toxic dump sites where lots of San Marzano's are grown, does that give you pause about using them?

Ed the house chef said...

Thanks Chef John. Once again you have turned me into a "world-class" chef to the people that really matter...family.

Don't Ever Stop.

edward said...

I don't think I've ever made anything so simple yet so delicious. Simmering for hours on a Sunday afternoon, I keep having to shoo away the neighbors. Surprised this recipe didn't get more posts. Thanks from Colombia. PS I was thinking about translating some of your recipes into Spanish, then you could be Señor Chef Juan.

Anonymous said...

CHEF JOHN! What line of cookware is your stainless steel? Are you All-Clad or Cuisinart? Does it make a difference?

Anonymous said...

CHEF JOHN!??? What line of SS Cookware do you use? Is that Cuisinart or All Clad? Does it matter?

Chef John said...

I use both. All the top brands are about the same.

Unknown said...

I've done similar recipes over the years. My favorite cuts to use are short ribs and oxtails. Both braise beautifully while holding up to a long simmer. Extra sauce gets thrown in the freezer for my next lasagna.

Unknown said...

My favorite part about this recipe is that it the meat always comes out perfect every time I make it. I have trouble with slow cooking meat with other dishes as it dries out on me, but never with this dish. Awesome braised meat every time. The other thing is that this recipe make a lot of food, but it almost seems to get tastier after a day or 2, the leftovers are even better than the original.

Unknown said...

Just followed this "process". Used chix thighs, pork ribs, and..... about 5 oz of london broil. Braised them all and I must tell you that the london broil was AMAZING! The sauce wasn't bad either ;). Thanks Chef John!

Dan and Hilary said...

Chef John, your line about deglazing the pan that 'makes the difference between a good cook and a really good cook' basically sums up why I watch your videos over the years. Some part of the soul of cooking can't be learned from cookbooks, imo. As a stay at home dad, I can't always commit to some of the more involved dishes as much as I'd like to, so lately I am cooking at times vicariously through your demos, and man that means a lot.

Thanks again For your endless encouragement, the inspiration to make great food and the confidence to adjust on the fly. Please keep up the great work!

Chef John said...

Thank you so much!

MC said...

That is pretty much like my Nana used to make it, but it was always called GRAVY and what ever the pasta was it was MACARONI, preferably La Rosa brand (what ever happened to them?)

jd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jd said...

My Goode chef John. I love your videos and have watched every one. Yes, every one. I am the Alan Moore of your watchmen. I know a little obscure but delightful nonetheless. I love San marzano tomatoes but can I find already crushed version? Thank you so so much! Made your chicken with green onion Chipotle gravy tonight. It was a hit for at least a double or a triple on error :D

jimmyd said...

First off, let me say that I love your YouTube recipe videos. I've watched many of them. I mean lots of them! A plethora of them you might say. Today though, I was a bit disappointed. You pronounced a certain word in a way that truly grates on Italian-Americans: the word in question is "Italian" and, in this recipe/procedure/whatever you want to call it, near the end of the video you pronounced it "Eye-talian." Seriously, Chef John? I know you know better... unless you're from the South or somewhere equally near-void of Italians where they don't know any better and usually pronounce it that way. Anyway, that aside, keep on keepin' on with your terrific videos! Your off-camera, voice-over, narrations are truly unique and entertaining! BTW, next time you're doing an Italian recipe, you might want to consider doing one for what is, quite possibly, the most delicious Italian meat dish of all. One that belongs in every Sunday sauce. Yes, I'm talking about braciole. (i.e., if you haven't already done one on braciole and, if you have, I guess I haven't come across it yet.) Ciao!

Jackie Patti said...

I think it is important to add basil, oregano and parsley at both the beginning of the long cook and at the end. Fresh is preferred, except oregano works better dried. And instead of salting the sauce, just use more cheese. ;)

Unknown said...

Chef John! Finally a meat sauce just like my Nonna made. Salute!