Friday, August 26, 2011

Hello from New Orleans and the 2011 IFBC

Just a quick hello to let you know I’ll be in New Orleans this weekend for the 2011 International Food Bloggers Conference. For some background on this event, you should check out my recap of last year’s conference (which, by the way, I wrote high on cold medicine). Seen here is Barnaby Dorfman, CEO of Foodista, kicking off the festivities. These guys literally invented the food blogger conference, for which I’ll be forever grateful. 

The food down here is ridiculously awesome; so don’t be surprised if you see some new Cajun and Creole inspired video recipes in the near future. I’ve already had some amazing fried chicken on bourbon-spiked sweet potatoes, and also tempted fate by eating raw oysters in August. My new friend, David Aman, from DocNO Productions, took me out for some oysters and beer at Pascal's Manale, and you can see the visual proof of my culinary courage below. 
Apparently, it’s fine to eat oysters in the summer, and that old safety warning is leftover from the days before refrigeration, when there was a real danger. I’ve done no independent scientific research, but they tasted fine to me, and I feel great.

I’ll be back in San Francisco on Monday. In the meantime, enjoy!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Raw Oysters are so freaking amazing

Derp said...

It's so strange to watch a Chef John video without his voice

:<

Carolyn™ said...

In Australia we eat raw oysters all year round. I visited the Sydney Fish Markets (a place a lot of tourists go) and enjoyed a dozen freshly opened mmmmmm.

Garrett said...

Sorry but that didn't look 2 nice!

josip said...

I love the smell raw oysters produce and I love oyster sauce but when I try to eat them I gag. Tried multiple times, always have to start running to the toilet to puke my guts out.

Anonymous said...

Hope the hurricanne isn't gonna rain on your parade! ( I don't think it will) Anyways have fun! :D

Anonymous said...

awww shucks..nice to see CJ come out of his shell to be in a video...thank you..thank you very much

Anonymous said...

I feel enlightened just watching you eat an oyster. Foodwishesjunkie?

Monica said...

Now on to crawdads, alligator and
hurricanes(the cocktail variety)

Grams Pam said...

I thought oyster season was months that contain an "R" ... have I been misspelling my birth month my whole life? I was born in Arugust? I never knew my father was a pirate.

Chef John you just changed my whole life. How am I going to tell my Grandkids they're part pirate?

http://goneworleans.about.com/b/2004/11/01/r-is-for-oysters.htm

Andria said...

I love oyster but just can't eat them raw! I would eat them cooking in any way though! ^^

Michael Pang said...

Chef John I just thought of this; you should get an app developed for the iPhone and Android phones! That would be so cool and convenient to cook from our phones and tablets :).

Grams Pam said...

@Tech Titan ... are you sure you want your expensive electronic devices in the kitchen ... around all those various kinds of fluids and oils? I know how clumsy I can be, and there's no way I'm taking that kind of chance!

I have had Food Wishes video running (and pausing, then running again) on my dinning room table as I attempted to produce some of Chef John's dishes.

simplyoz said...

You have many delicious recipes in your blog.I really love.Keep sharing with us more and more....