Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Ravenous Couple's Bánh Cam – Starring Mom and Dad

Photo (c) The Ravenous Couple
This video recipe for bánh cam (or bánh rán) comes to us from Kim and Hong, the very talented duo who publish The Ravenous Couple. They were at my Foodbuzz Festival panel discussion on video blogging, and as some of you may remember, I promised to share any videos those participants sent my way. 

Kim and Hong posted this as a special Mothers Day tribute, and I think it's a great way to celebrate how these heirloom recipes are handed down from one generation to another. I hope you enjoy watching how to make this popular Vietnamese dessert, and I encourage you to visit their blog to read the full post. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Ravenous Couple said...

Thank you so much for sharing our videos with your readers! Your videos and site is an inspiration to us and thank you for all the encouragement, not to mention all the tips!

Unknown said...

WOw!! I was so excited when I saw this post because I am Vietnamese-AMerican. BUt in Vietnam my family consisting of 4 aunts and an uncle runs a BANH CAM operation. Their Bang Cam are famous among the locals! The have mung bean filing and coconut filling.

This is so cool every time Food WIshes does an international post!!! And this one especially because of the relevance. hihihi!

Chef John, I'm a big fan!!! Not just of your cooking, but your weird sense of humor too! ^^

Love your videos and good job on the accent marks! You're so international!

Sharon said...

I have been looking for a recipe for this ever since I visited China six years ago. Thank you!!

Chef John said...

Kim and Hong, Thanks for sharing!! Great job on the video, and I hope to see many more. :-)

philogaia said...

Thank you for posting this. I went to Kim and Hong's site and was amazed at all the interesting Vietnamese dishes I'd never heard of before. And some that use rice flour (no wheat!) I want to try the Banh Xeo, the savory crepes made with rice flour. I'm of Northern European descent in my family and have never been exposed to the Vietnamese culture (beyond a bowl of Pho that is). What a great site Ravenous Couple is.

youthculture said...

woah! this is great! i lovelovelove eating vietnamese food and there are some pretty approachable (and delicious!) looking recipes on their site for the amateur foodie.

SV said...

Interesting that you use mash potato flakes...what is that for?

Ravenous Couple said...

@SV: we don't know the chemistry behind it, but if you prepare the same dough without the potato and fry it, it will crack. you can also you a real potato and mash that.

Unknown said...

I think it's the same food in my country Indonesia, maybe the different just in the filling, we use green beans for the filling :)