Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Minute Steaks with Barbecue Butter Sauce – They Only Take a Few Minutes

There is something comforting about the minute steak. It's probably the fact that the name of the recipe is also the recipe. You take piece of sirloin, pound it thin, and fry it for a minute per side. That's it. Simple, faster than fast, and easily repeated under pressure.

Of course, everyone knows that a minute steak is only as good as the pan sauce, and here we offer an ultra-simple barbecue butter sauce. Actually, there's only a very small amount of butter, but the way it emulsifies into the beef broth and tangy BBQ sauce somehow amplifies the effect.

Be sure to use a great barbecue sauce. The SFQ I used is a rich, classic American barbecue sauce with a touch of chocolate, hint of coffee, and balanced with aged red wine vinegar. It's subtly exotic spices and sweet heat made it a perfect choice here.

Ideally, you'll follow the link below and order some, but if not, make sure the sauce you choose has some personality to it. You'll also want to taste the sauce plain beforehand, so that you can adjust the seasonings in the pan. I hope yo
u find the time to make this soon. Enjoy!


Give the Gift of Barbecue! Order Some SFQ – The Original San Francisco-
Style Barbecue Sauce

As many of you may already know, my wife, Michele, makes what I think is a fantastic, and very unique barbecue sauce. Some of you actually got to sample it last year as we offered to all those loyal viewers who were able to make a donation to the site.

This year we aren’t doing any such fundraisers, but that doesn’t mean you can't experience the SFQ. Michele just launched her website, and I invite you to head over and take a look! By the way, if you order by December 18th, your order will arrive in time for Christmas. Thank you for your support!




Ingredients:
2 (5-oz) minutes steaks
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon grapeseed or vegetable oil
For the sauce:
1/2 cup beef broth
1 1/2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 or 2 teaspoons cold butter
hot sauce to taste
freshly ground black pepper


View the complete recipe

18 comments:

Rita said...

it's so simple, yet it looks like a masterpiece!

is there a way that i can just grab all those wonderful goodies you make through my screen?

Wendy B. said...

YUM! I must get my hands on some of that BBQ sauce as well. Double YUM!

Anonymous said...

Lol I just saw a recipe for a miso and butter sauce in a magazine... every other condiment in my pantry will be subject to a little experimenting =)

Chris said...

I made this, and it was absolutely delicious. Don't normally like BBQ sauce with steak, but it was perfectly paired. The sauce seemed so buttery too...

Stewmeat said...

Chef John this was the second dish I have made of yours and it was awesome and I even used a very cheap cut of meat. Of course I had to bust out the mallet and go to town until I got cramps but it still came out delicious. I even used a non-stick skillet and the sauce came out fantastic, everyone loved it. I can't wait to make this with sirloin and using a stainless steel skillet.

Thanks for all you do Chef John.

Chef John said...

thanks!!

Alicia said...

Could you do cream instead of BBQ sauce, or would that be overkill with the butter too.

Anonymous said...

Made this last night using Omaha Steaks. However, I may have kinda got my pan a little too hot since when I added in the oil my pan caught on fire... LOL Scared the pooh right outta me... I am new to cooking anything not frozen.. Thank you for all your tutorials.. You are amazing... Onto Lasagna for dinner tonight... :)

Christy

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef John,

I always have trouble getting my steaks down from 1 inch to 1/4 inch.

Would you recommend cooking it in the pan longer (at a lower temperature perhaps?) or searing it and throwing it in the oven?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Chef John said...

You could, but why not just pound it thinner, or ask the butcher to cut medallions for you?

Angie said...

Fantastic! Really delicious and yet so easy and fast! Thank you....even my picky husband loved it. I've made this dish with sirloin a few times and even cubed steak which we then put on a hoagie with all that saucy goodness. I love your recipes :)

Unknown said...

Chef John- I made this sauce the other day in my cast iron skillet but after i poured the sauce mixture in the pan it evaporated so quickly that there was no liquid left. Any advice on how I can prevent this from happening again, Thank you.

Chef John said...

All you needed was a splash of water! That's the only thing that evaporates.

Unknown said...

I think my stock wasn't cold enough but I will put a splash of water if i see no liquid in the pan again.

Chef John said...

dont be afraid to use more liquid early, you can always reduce!

Unknown said...

I just received my order of SFQ sauce and tomorrow, I will probably use the minute steak recipe for the sauce's debut.

Unknown said...

Just an incredible recipe! We used pounded venison filet...dusted it with flour then followed the recipe to the tee! Served with roasted vegetables and a kale salad! Just the best in eating! Thank you John for yet another wonderful recipe!

Unknown said...

Chef John! I had roasted oysters at a restaurant last weekend that were finished in a butter bbq sauce. It was smoky and nutty and strange, but absolutely delicious -- unlike any bbq sauce I've ever tasted.

Have you ever come across any bbq sauces made with brown butter? I think that might be what they did. Maybe some reduced beer too. I wish I could shoot the flavor directly into your mouth through the internet so you could help me.

I've GOT to know how they did it. Any insights I could use as a starting point?