Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tangerine Cherry Cranberry Sauce – Your Laziness Will Be Rewarded!

It's right about this time when whoever is organizing the Thanksgiving meal finds out, or assigns, who's bringing what to the dinner. May I suggest a little proactivity (I can't believe that's not a word) on your part to volunteer to bring the cranberry sauce.

Fresh, homemade cranberry sauce is like the easiest recipe ever, and as long as you "sell it" properly, your true motives (maximum love for minimum effort) will be our secret. By "sell it" I mean tell them all about your secret tangerine/cherry-spiked version, and how involved it is to make. Of course, since it is a top-secret recipe, you'll not be able to give details, but you're sure they'll be blown away.

I posted this video last night on YouTube, and several of the viewers made a great suggestion for the spices. I usually just fish them out with a spoon once cold, but if you wrap them in a small piece of cheesecloth, you'll be able to pull them out without what can be an extensive search.

I didn't and usually don't, but you can certainly add a pinch of salt and black pepper to this, or any number of other aromatics. This tangerine cherry cranberry sauce is also really nice served warm as a savory sauce to all kinds of game, like venison, duck, goose, etc. I hope you give it a try. Enjoy!




1 (12-oz) bag fresh cranberries
1 cup small dried cherries (larger ones can be chopped a bit)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon
finely grated tangerine or orange zest
1 cup tangerine or orange, plus water as needed
1 whole star anise
3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick


View the complete recipe

32 comments:

Nancy said...

yummmm

Rita said...

i will, definitely, try that recipe, and will enjoy it. i hate canned cranberry sauce.

Jasmine said...

I am so excited, I just got my copy of your book and it looks great!

daphne said...

Easiest recipe ever... I love homemade cranberry sauce...

Cheri Witmer said...

Mmm mmm mmm, I love cranberry sauce with my turkey, and I bet this will be even better! Thanks Chef John!

Beth said...

Fabulous dish! What a way to make your taste buds happy! Enjoyed your video too -- very entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Chef you are AWESOME!
most of us are lazy to click here and post something but think about it - for every post here theres 10 people that liked the post/video but we're too lazy to say thanks, so heres for you from all these ppl!

Anonymous said...

I put a little dash of cayenne in homemade cranberry sauce. Not a lot, just a bit.

Anonymous said...

hi chef john! my food wish is a persimmon-related dessert :) thanks!!

Gina said...

Sounds real tasty, but the word "juice" is missing from the following ingredient line in your recipe:

1 cup tangerine or orange,

Anonymous said...

foodwish: i challange you to make something without fresh produce/meat! (poor college studente here)

Anonymous said...

I've got a jar of sweetened, pitted cherries that have been just sitting there. Can I use them in this recipe?

And thanks for all the great recipes! I usually cook at least one a week.

Chef John said...

i would chop them, but yes!

Stewart Gray said...

My grandmother used to empty out a can of cranberry sauce like you did when explaining what not to do. She would then slice that gelatinous mold into coins. What she thought was an artistic presentation I thought was just plain tacky. This one, however, looks great.

ATX said...

Just about done simmering... Delicious!! I couldn't wait until it cools to post a comment...

Haha - I'm totally bringing this to a work potluck tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Hi John,

Can I leave out the star of anise? I have no clue what that is, or where to buy them. If it's expensive, I probably won't buy any as this is the only time I more than likely need it.

Thank you,

Melanie

Chef John said...

you can leave out, of course. But it does add a unique flavor and any decent size grocery store will have it.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I look forward to making this recipe, but am having a hard time finding star anise. I found anise seed, though. If it's okay to substitute, what amounts would be appropriate?

~Julia

Chef John said...

not the same, but similar. sorry, can't guess at the amount though, i'd have to test. probably a pinch.

Anonymous said...

Update to my last comment: I scored star anise at the Chinese market --$1.79/4 oz!

~Julia

Chef John said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

Just made this...oh man! So good. The star anise adds a really nice aroma. Delicious! This was my very first homemade cranberry sauce :D

Nancy said...

Just finished making two batches of this for Thanksgiving tomorrow.. Of course I had to sneak a bit and oh boy...is it good.. I will never go back to that canned stuff again...

Simplelife4Real said...

I don't have any star anise, but I do have a spice jar of "anise". It looks like little seeds. Could I substitute that? If so, how much do you recommend that I use? The recipe looks and sounds awesome and I'd love to try it, but don't know if I want to buy the star anise if I can use what I already have.

Love your blogs! They've gotten me excited about cooking again.

Chef John said...

Sorry, I know it's similar, but never tried, so not sure how much. Also, not sure about having the little seeds in the sauce.

Simplelife4Real said...

I ended up buying the star anise and making the cranberry sauce with it tonight. It was awesome. I will never go back to the canned stuff again after making this. You are right that it is so easy, yet tastes so special. Thanks for the recipe!

Chef John said...

yea! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chef John! I'm planning on making this again this year! Can one use frozen cranberries instead of fresh? I have four bags in my freezer I need to use.
~Julia

Chef John said...

yes! enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure; thanks for the confirmation. Happy Thanksgiving, Chef John!
~Julia

Unknown said...

Lord have mercy! Just done slapped myself in the face. This recipe is amazing. My house and the sauce is aromatic and this cranberry sauce taste Amazing!

Unknown said...

I have literally made this sauce every year for Christmas and Thanksgiving for the past 3-4 years. My roommate's husband absolutely loves it and it is so very much worth it and so much better than the canned stuff.