Sunday, July 25, 2010

"Steak Pizzaiola" Sunday Dinner with Someone's Italian Grandmother

Anyone that grew-up in an Italian-American family can tell you about Sunday dinner, where someone just like the adorable woman in this video cooks an old family favorite, after which the family gathers around to eat, drink, and talk way too loud.

I've wanted to film a version of Steak Pizzaiola for a while now, but can't decide which version to do; the quickly seared, pan sauce style, or the long, slow-cooked recipe seen here. Maybe I'll try and combine the best of both. Thanks to fellow YouTube foodie, Foxbytes, for this tasty-looking clip. If you have a favorite recipe for this Italian-American classic, please send it my way. Enjoy!



12 comments:

Dan said...

Gorgeous! I love the slow cooking thing.

Is orzo pasta or barley? I've never been able to figure that one out.

Chef John said...

it's little semolina pasta

Cheryl said...

So it's Italian style pot roast. served with pasta in stead of rice or potatoes.

Matthew said...

I prefer the slow cooking one, it looks more authentic and comforting.

Pan fried version looks kind of bland, like an ordinary pan fried steak with tomato sauce laddled over.

PrimeBrit said...

So easy and looks delicious. Pan shopping today and an attempt at that dish tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cook, and what gorgeous food! The money shot gave me a twinge of sadness, I could not just reach in and lift off the plate!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I can never get carrots to cook fully in a tomato sauce. Something about the acidity...? They always come out a bit too al dente if I don't steam them first. In this dish, would it be the slow cooking that might make the difference?
Thanks!

Lucas said...

Do you really need to reduce the temp every hour? Would the results be different if simply cooked at 325 for the entire time?

Chef John said...

would probably be fine, but I'd do it her way anyway, just out of

javier said...

That was poetry. Well done

And loved the style of the pan that went in the oven!

Rita said...

you just gave me a really good idea/recipe for dinner when hubby gets back from his business trip. thanks much!

wood bed frames said...

Well, thanks for the video. It was really helpful. The dish was perfect.