Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I wish I could have done a new video recipe for St. Patrick's Day this year, but I'm in the stretch run with all this cookbook photography so it just didn't happen, which is too bad because I had some fantastic ideas.

How does a Guinness-braised beef brisket sound? Or a kale-stuffed leg of lamb? Next year, I promise! So, you'll just have to settle for a link to my corned beef and cabbage video, which features some of my best, culturally-insensitive humor ever. My wife is half Irish, so I felt entitled to have a little fun.

If you've never tried cooking corned beef and cabbage before, use this video and give it a try! It's so easy, and one of the world's greatest one-pot meals ever. By the way, as you'll read if you follow the link…it's NOT even Irish.

Erin Go Bragh! (which is Gaelic for "Ireland until eternity, and enjoy!"

9 comments:

Missy Ann said...

I made your corned beef and cabbage eariler this week. My first time ever making this dish. It turned out divine! Thank you.

Unknown said...

Happy "Bushels of Blarney" Day!

rosemary said...

May you do a video on the process of 'corning' the beef at home?

Anonymous said...

Hey John, are you from Illinois per chance? I saw someone post a picture on the channel 5 news weather photos section - they insisted in being called "Chef John"

Chris K. said...

Michael Ruhlman just wrote up a nice piece about corning beef at home on his blog:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own.html

I've corned beef at home a few times now, and the results are always WAY better than that brine-injected dross sold at the supermarket.

If you're interested in charcouterie at home it is well worth your while to order some cure #2 (pink salt/sodium nitrite). It's cheap, and a little goes a long way.

No corned beef hash this morning - I didn't have time. But I may try making fried potato cakes with all this leftover colcannon. It was delicious, mind you; I just made way too much!

Oh - and Chef John: I served your lamb stew last night and everybody loved it, including my girlfriend who doesn't like lamb. It might be a "doorway food." We'll see...

Chef John said...

Anon, i'm from NY

Chris, thanks for the link. Good luck with the lamb conversion!

Chanelle said...

What cut of meat do you make corned beef with Chef John? None of the supermarkets around here have the meat cut labeled as corned beef. I have tried asking the employees and I get blank stares.

Is it the brisket?

Chef John said...

yes, it's a brined beef brisket

Chanelle said...

Thank you very much. I shall now proceed to enjoy my corned beef and mustard sandwiches.

Nom nom nom.