Saturday, October 31, 2009

Choosing Pizza Over Immortality - The Part of Being a Vampire that Really Sucks

This was posted last year, just as vampire mania had started to sweep across America. Since it's Halloween I thought I would re-post it, along with the poll that asked if you'd give up food for immortality.

I think the results are fascinating! I know people love food, but we're talking about immortality. How did you vote?

The original post from 10/9/08 follows:

Those of you still able to afford HBO may be familiar with the new series, True Blood. It's an entertaining tongue-in-cheek, fangs-in-neck series about vampires and their attempt to assimilate into mainstream society. I guess I should state that this is a fictional show, just in case.

I was watching an episode recently and one of the vampires said something that sent a cold chill through my soul. Vampires don't eat food. Everyone knows they have to drink blood to survive, but did you know that they don't eat anything else? Think about it, would the kinky sex, great strength, immortality, and killer dental plan, be enough to give up eating food forever?

So here is a little Halloween poll: If you had to choose between a normal human life, and life as a vampire (able to live forever, but unable to eat and enjoy food), which would you chose?


Which lifestyle would you choose?
I would stay a human. I know I would die someday, but I really like nachos.
I would become a vampire and live forever without eating food again. I'm not that great a cook anyway.
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Photo (c) Flickr user *davierae*

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I won a free laptop, yippee.

Anonymous said...

I'm not playing this game. I hate polls. But the Vietnamese in me just have to ask the question: how would you cook a vampire? I'm thinking red wine reduction, but there maybe compatibility issues. As you know, they don't drink ... wine.

Anonymous said...

Can the rest of my family be vampires? I love cooking and eating but they seem to be insatiable which sometimes really sucks the fun out of it. (pun intended)

Anonymous said...

your blog is good. true blood, however, is just about the worst show i've ever watched.

Chef John said...

No, you're family can't be vampires too.

And Thox, you would probably cook it the same way you guys cook those bats. Maybe a Vampire Pho?

texichan said...

So THIS is the show. It's based on a book series by Charlaine Harris, and everyone at my bookstore keeps looking for them (but it's a used bookstore and we rarely have them). I wondered what it was all about. Looks pretty cheesy, haha.

Anonymous said...

site is still broken after that slow food post...

Chef John said...

sorry, I don't see any problems. Update your browser to Firefox.

Unknown said...

I love this site but I'm not much on vampire shows. Great recipes and instructions Chef. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make these videos. I'm wondering if you did cook a vampire if it might be better to slow cook them in the ground like a pig. Keep up the great work Chef John and thanks again.

Anonymous said...

what?? oh dear... i love food... but i'd so rather be a vampire. =D what would happen if a vampire were to eat anyway... : < you can't die.

Anonymous said...

Haha..Happy Halloween.
Hey Chef John...are you on Facebook? I'd love to officially be your fan!

Richardson said...

What's the point of being alive (using that word in the broadest sense possible) if you can't enjoy existence?

Also nachos are delicious.

Flour said...

I'm torn because I love food, but vampire fiction...such a guilty pleasure. Very cool post:)

Anonymous said...

You'd have to flambe a vampire. after putting a steak through his heart.

can i do the jokes?

Unknown said...

I'd have to give up food AND laying out on the beach? I'd rather die.