Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Your Salad Forecast: Cool and Crisp with a 100% Chance of Blue Cheese "Snow"

This is one of my favorite restaurant tricks ever. I invented this technique in 1985, after seeing another chef do it at a small café in San Francisco. It is an amazing way to distribute blue cheese over a salad without messing up your fingers, and without having the cheese end up alone at the bottom the of bowl when the lettuce is gone.

This simple trick guarantees a perfect blue cheese portion with every forkful. As you'll see in the video recipe, it does require a plastic rotary grater, which is very inexpensive and easy to find. These graters are great if you ever need to grate large amounts of Parmesan as well, so I think they are a nice thing to have in the kitchen, even if you don't plan on using it to stun your foodie friends with the best blue cheese trick ever! Enjoy!

15 comments:

Bill W, NH said...

while you may be preventing the spread of BCF you are also causing an epidemic of BCG.

Chef John said...

OK i'll bite...BCG?

Anonymous said...

Very cool Tip! I love blue cheese but hate how it falls apart sometimes...

seryph07 said...

I'm guessing it's "Blue Cheese Grater?" Maybe?
I like this technique, I'll have to go buy one of these graters.

Vicki said...

OK, you solved my bleu cheese problem (most ingenious, I might add), now what do I do about the cucumbers / tomatoes / red onions / etc that also fall to the bottom of the bowl?

Chef John said...

call them dessert. ;)

Julie said...

It could snow blue cheese on me anytime, I just love the stuff.

Anonymous said...

How can you say you "invented" the technique when you saw another chef use it?

Chef John said...

ah, that was a joke.

Anonymous said...

BCF LOL

Algis said...

Hi Chef John!
Hey, cool trick there with the goat cheese! BCF...hahaha...
I stumbled across one of your videos on YouTube about a year ago when I was looking for a No Knead Bread recipe, and just fell in love with so many of your other recipe videoclips.
Since I work at home, I always have dinner ready for my girlfriend by the time she gets home from her work, and you are always my go-to-guy to come up with something good for her. I love your recipes because you make cooking so easy and so much fun. Thank you always!

My best wishes to you,
Algis

Birder said...

Can you reco a few brand names that sell good graters for this purpose? Thanks, Chef!

Chef John said...

Here you go, this is the only one I have used... cheese grater

Becky said...

Hey Chef John!
This is totally crazy right now...just viewed your blue cheese video from a posting on culture cheese mag's site....and I was one of your students @ CCA....nice to see your face again and this video doesn't do your wit justice!!! Obviously it paid off b/c now I'm a cheese monger....hope all is well. Thanks!
Rachel Perlstein

Chef John said...

Hey! Great hearing from you, Rachel...or is it Becky? ;-)