Sunday, August 12, 2007

The One That Got Away
















This is what an artichoke looks like when it somehow eludes the Chef's clippers and gets to flower. These delicious “vegetables” are nothing more than the large flowering buds of a thistle plant (Cynara scolymus). It is not uncommon in San Francisco to see them planted as ornamentals. I’m not sure if “pretty” is the right adjective; “interesting” is probably more like it. Personally, I prefer mine much younger, and served with a garlic aioli.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks very photoshopped. But you just can't stop looking at it!

Chef John said...

I'll take that as a compliment, and a plug for the Sony camera's quality... the only editting I did was turn up the contrast a bit! Thanks, and don't look at it too long.

Chef John said...

BTW, I dont have photoshop. I use a freeware program. (in related news, I've changed the donation button headline on the sidebar) ;-)

Úlfar said...

It looks like an alien from a low-budget 80's horror film.
HOW BAD-ASS IS THAT?!

Anonymous said...

that looks like something from the movie little shop of horrors. ;0