Monday, June 18, 2007

Making Culinary History

In tomorrow’s clip I will attempt something that’s never been successfully done in the history of “long distance” culinary instruction. I will teach you how to crack an egg with one hand. That’s right, crack an egg with one hand. Why? First of all, you’ll double the speed that you currently crack eggs. Secondly, you will be able to lord over other foodie friends that can’t crack eggs with one hand (for some reason this really impresses people). And finally, the clip will act as an important experiment regarding learning actual culinary techniques simply by watching.

I’ve been getting lots of emails asking about the online cooking classes, and if you can really learn specific skills without “hands-on” training. I think so. That’s why I chose the one-handed egg cracking challenge. It’s something that is not shown in many cooking schools, as it is not as easy thing to show, even in person. It is normally a skill a cook picks up cracking cases of eggs for a large brunch, and learned by trying over and over until they finally “get it.” By the way, once you do “get it’ you never lose it. So, if I can teach you to crack eggs with one hand, I can teach you anything! Tune in tomorrow and let’s make history together.

Additional Site Update: If you’re bored, please read this!

I just deleted a comment on the Happy Birthday post I did for my mother (literally, a post only a mother could love). The comment said that the site was “becoming a bore.” The nerve! But, to be honest I have to agree with the ungrateful jerk that wrote it. As I explained in previous posts, while I experiment with the new equipment, and spend more time on the promotion of the site, I will not have new clips to post everyday. Believe me, I can’t wait until I get to a point where all I have to worry about is what to film and edit for your viewing pleasure.

Please remember, as much as I try to make it seem like one, this blog is not a public service, or a hobby. It will either serve as my full time job, or it will cease to exist. I must develop the site to a point that I can at least generate enough traffic and revenue to sustain myself. This is not the type of site (meaning daily video recipe clips) that can be done in someone’s spare time. I think most of you understand this, as the positive emails and comments out number the negative ones by 100 to 1. The response to this site, and what I’m trying to do, has been overwhelming and incredibly inspiring.

So, please bear with me as I attempt to improve the site’s video quality, significantly increase traffic, and most importantly, finish the online culinary classes. And, if you can’t, and do get bored with the site, you can always stop visiting for a few weeks and catch up on your Emril reruns. Bam!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is anything but boring! I look forward to your new content whenever you post it - dont let anyone discourage you. Do what you gotta do, and keep on doin it!

Anonymous said...

sorry I can't afford classes, but i always wanted to know how to do the egg thing :-)

Anonymous said...

I just started watching your site recently. I have done some small-scale video presentation clips for my work, not recipes unfortuantly. so I know how long it takes to do even short clips. Keep up the good work. Bam! (nice touch)

Anonymous said...

I didn't say that the site was boring, I said it was becoming a bore.

I find that most sites are a disastrous waste of time. Especially, if you are looking for something informative. This one has been very good but lately it’s been kind of slow. I used to view other videos on You Tube but stopped watching them because this one seemed to be what I was looking for.

I look forward to your getting back to your usual updates. No offence intended

Signed,
The ungrateful jerk

Melissa said...

i've been reading your blog for a few weeks and it's been really cool to see the progression of your clips and the passion with which you regard this site. if only evidenced by the constant (daily! omgz!) updating of full length, nicely edited and presented clips.
also, i've made a few things from watching and they've all come out extremely well. (the summer squash with chevre was amaaazing)

so yeah, i just thought i'd take a second to let you know that for whatever it means, i really appreciate all the hard work you're doing on this site, and i wish you the best of luck. and i for one, will keep visiting every day...i kinda like the cheesy happy birthday messages.

keep it up! and many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I look forward checking your site everyday and love it.

I have two kids (3yrs old & and a 3 mth old) and a very lovely child-raising wife who's not particularly keen about cooking. I have been making at least one of your recipe's every Sunday for the last 7-8 months, and try to nick a recipe on a weeknight when I come home from work just to help out.

At night I'm a blues musician here in Boston, so I know the drill when it comes to criticism. There is a difference between "(You're) becoming a bore" and "Do you know any Skynyrd?" It's called social graces. Don't sweat it.

Anyways, I'd include a pic I took last night of my 3yr old eating your pasta & clam sauce last night, but not sure if it's necessary (nor how!). Suffice to say you've got a fan and family over here that dig you.
If you're ever in the Boston area and need a blues boogie band to get everybody dancing let me know.

p.s. - never regarded the "comments" section until this week and will definitely be posting more.

p.s.s. - and I'll keep it shorter!

Keep up the good work!
Scott - Boston

Chef John said...

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments! I hope the post didn't seem like I was too upset... I just wanted everyone to know why i wasn't posting new clips every single day. Thanks for watching!

Anonymous said...

Frankly, it's an awesome gesture ANYTIME a child honors their parent and the birthday clip says a lot about Chef John's character, especially how he respects and loves his Mom. Not all mother's get this from their grown children and boring isn't what any mom would use to describe being wished a Happy Birthday in such a special way.

From one mom to another - Cheers, Pauline! Happy Birthday and I hope you have a speedy recovery from your eye surgery.

Chef John said...

in the spirit of full disclosure, the preceding post was from my "other" mother, my mother-in-law Peggy. Thanks. (i hope she doesnt remember when I use the same YT clip on her birthday post in Nov. shhhhhh)

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

No worries about uploading. I just found this site and LOVE it. It offers something that other site like this don't, but I can't put my finger on it. Whatever it is, it's fantastic.

Keep up the good work! I've sent the link to my parents so hopefully they will pass it on and increase traffic!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I get away with nothing! Chef John is too smart - he always checks suspicious sounding posts to see whether he recognizes the IP #. Can anyone tell me how I can trick him by concealing my IP address?

Anonymous said...

Ciao
volevo farti i complimenti hai un sito bellissimo un abbraccio dall'Italia
Elisa

Congratulations on a beautiful website
Loved everything on your site and you did a magnificent job. You should be proud of yourself
if youhave just a minute, visit me back and live a comment with your link, so other Italian people will be able to visit your blog
Elisa

logicalmind said...

I don't think I've posted here before, but I read any enjoy your articles. Just wanted to post my kudos for this blog. I love it! Thanks!

jgodsey said...

don't feel so pressed...you are giving free content to ungreatful unwashed masses - write what you want when you want.

Anonymous said...

funny I was thinking just this morning about how chefs cracked eggs using only one hand while I can barely manage it with both...

anyway, love your videos and your sense of humor; I'm slowly getting my friends to start watching too!

Steffen P said...

I love this site, its awesome.

I do hope the online culinary classes will work out for you - im already saving money.

BTW check out John Chow dot com, he is kind of a 'make-money-of-your-blog'-guru.

http://www.johnchow.com/

Connie T. said...

The people that usually say that, don't even post anything, let alone anything good to say. I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

I like your posts....Don't get discouraged by one or 2 negative posts. You are good at what you do!

Anonymous said...

Chef John,

I really want to know the science behind beking. What makes a cake fluffy? What ingredient makes a cake soft? what cakes it moist and juicy? I just don't seem to underdstand. What, when done wrong does the cake get spoilt?

I would really like to know about this. This is my first time on your blog and looks like I will be visiting it more often :)

Thank you

Chef John said...

Baking really isnt my specialty. I think you would be better served asing those questions on some of the food science or baking blog. I try to keep these comments short and sweet, so I cant go into that much detail. There are many books that explain such issues. I would check Amazon. I hope you visit often. Cheers.