Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Simpson’s Bovine University or PETA Propaganda… who do you trust?

I just received an email, with the photo you see here, in response to my Chicken and Biscuits video recipe clip. Apparently the vegetarian that sent it (I’m assuming they’re a vegetarian) found it in the PETA online newsletter. OK, very amusing. While I’m a devote Omnivore, and feel good about eating any and all living things, I do understand (and respect) the vegetarian point of view. That’s why I’m posting today’s clip, from The Simpsons, called “Bovine University.” It is a very scientific (I'm kidding), and well researched (I'm kidding), instructional video that clearly explains why it’s ok to eat meat (I'm kidding). I think that if the average vegetarian understood more about the food chain, they may change their views (I'm kidding). Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and I'm a devout omnivore myself but I wish you had either answered the issue more clearly or just decline to comment rather than brushing it off with the Simpson's video.

Chef John said...

this blog's purpose is purely entertainment. I have no answers on the "issue." Whatever the issue is (is it ok to eat meat?) I deal with no real ethical, political, or social issues here. Everyone is right. Eat what you enjoy, and let your conscience be your guide. The clip was posted because it's funny, and for no other reason.

Anonymous said...

You can always count on the Simpsons for some "delicious" parody... well done! (pun intended)

Anonymous said...

The answer to the "issue" is one's personal taste and their politics, and it becomes especially "personal" in a business setting.

So...what would you expect Chef John should say to 'answer' the issue? Do you think he cooks meat, but doesn't eat it? I think that is his "taste," and he doesn't seem too political, although I wouldn't mind seeing a menu with a dessert called Im Peach Mint.

I think his stance is self-defense and, naturally he doesn't promote wasting food, so he cooks meats and eats them. Recall, he lives in a crowded city in the USA and it's a dog eat dog world...Gee, better always always check his ingredients closely!

Chef John said...

New blog rule: No defending Chef John and his views, or lack there of.

And, if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... I'll do the jokes!

Nachos Rule Forever said...

how did they end up even getting a hold of the clip? I mean, you are just one chef with a blog.(A very good one but I digress) I would imagine most chefs post videos of them cooking meat? What was so special about that one?

My guess is its not even about that chicken. They don't approve of the biscuit cooking technique.

Anonymous said...

Damn those biscuit makers!

Do you have any idea what it feels like to be stoned (crushing the wheat berries), and then made into flour? And corn, well that's another sad ingredient subject.

Plants have feelings, too.They love music and need light, air, and water. Gosh, they're practically alive - oh, wait, they are. PETA, how can support eating veggies?

Chef John said...

not sure what you meant by "how did they end up even getting a hold of the clip?" someone that watches this blog sent me the chicken photo from PETA (as a joke I'm sure)