Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Everyone remain calm…this is only a Test!

Well, I finally did it. I actually bought a “real” digital camera for the site. Yes, believe it or not, the over one hundred video recipe clips I’ve filmed so far, have been filmed using the cheap, bottom of the line, web cam pictured here. Now, nothing against Logitech, or their fine line of web cams, but they aren’t exactly made to serve as the cornerstone of your video recipe blog. Along with this new camera purchase, I’ve also bought a new MacBook and will be editing the clips with iMovie, a definite step up from the relatively primitive Windows Movie Maker I’ve been using. Why the change in platforms? It was really those Mac commercials; that skinny smartass dude was sooo much cooler than the old PC guy.

Seriously, I am very excited to have these new toys, and it’s going to take a few days to figure out how all this stuff works. I may even have to read a couple manuals! The clip I posted today is a first attempt at figuring out how the new camera and software work together, etc. So, my apologies for the basically useless clip today, but I have to do a little experimenting, and you know you are going to click on it out of curiosity anyway. I’ve included pictures of my new camera (please no emails telling me how much that model sucks), and I even bought a tripod (I was using a spice rack and blender as a tripod for the webcam). Enjoy?

15 comments:

Chef John said...

Before someone comments... I didn't have a microphone that works with the mac yet, so I had to use the built in one, which explains the bad sound. Thanks, and stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Finally. A mac. Now I'm an even bigger fan! :-)

Steffen P said...

i actually thought the sound was great

Chef John said...

should be much cleaner with a Mic,but thanks.

Steffen P said...

the onlye part that was annoying was the tv.. :P

But again, if thats what keeps you posting, then you just go ahead and turn up the volume.. :P

Chef John said...

hey, it was the radio!

Anonymous said...

yeah I thought there was something odd with the usual videos; a web cam explains it all :) Good luck with your new toys!

Anonymous said...

wow! Its sounds so clear and what the hell is up with the title thing? And its true it doesn't show as much pixel as before. Trust me good investment. 0.0

Unknown said...

GREAT improvement! Even the sound is way better... Congratulations on your memorial weekend buys!

Beans said...

I have to say the videos were already fantastic before your new gadgets, so can't wait to see you come up with now!

Chef John said...

Thanks!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Yay for you!!! Can't wait to see the end result with all your new technology. Congrats!

Connie T. said...

Wow good job. I got a new digital camcorder a Sony SR62. It works great but it is mpeg2 and I can't get mpeg2 on youtube. How do you get your videos on youtube? Email me and let me know. Plus it would not work on windows movie maker so I bought Sony movie maker and it is really involved like yours. The book on cd is 150 pages long, or longer. I have made a couple of movies and can't download them
;(

Chef John said...

yes, I almost bought the same type of camera. Thankfully the dude at the Mac store told me to just get a much cheaper MiniDV style camera because it records to tape and that is the best for editing and web use. The more expensive HD and DVD cameras compress the info and it doesnt work as well. I dont know how to solve your problem, maybe return the cameraif you can, or they probably have software that converts MPEG to other formats. Good Luck.

Atif said...

Hi Chef John,
I found your videos on YouTube, and I liked them so much I'm going through your entire blog (from the beginning) and emailing myself the recipes I want to try out. Keep up the good work.

I'm really interested in the A/V equipment you ended up getting. What kind of mic and lighting do you use?